An omelet makes a perfect breakfast, lunch, or even dinner on the DASH diet. You canuse whatever vegetables you have on hand and in just a few minute be eating a healthy, high protein meal.
· 6 egg whites
· 1 tablespoon water
· 2 teaspoon olive oil
· ½ yellow onion, chopped
· 1 tomato, diced
· 2-3 asparagus stalks, cut into small pieces
· 3-4 mushrooms, sliced
1. Whisk egg whites in a medium bowl, add tablespoon of water, and whisk with fork until well blended.
2. Heat 1 teaspoon oil over medium-high heat in a medium size skillet. Add onion, tomato, asparagus, and mushrooms and sauté until vegetables are tender, about 3-4 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
3. Add another teaspoon of oil to the pan and allow to heat for a minute or two. Add beaten eggs to pan, tilting pan as needed so eggs cover entire pan. Let eggs set along edges of pan, this should only take a few seconds if pan is hot enough. Using spatula slide eggs away from sides of pan and tilt pan to allow more egg mixture to flow to pan surface. Repeat until eggs are almost finished, but still soft in the middle.
4. Add vegetable mixture to middle of omelet. Fold one side of omelet over toppings.Slide onto plate. Voila, it is ready to eat.
Nutritional Information (per serving)
Sodium: 77 mg
Protein: 8.5 g
Carbs: 19 g
Fat: 4.5 g