Neir’s Tavern is a neighborhood bar (pub) in the Woodhaven section of the Queens borough of New York City.
The bar was founded in 1829 and, according to the current owners, is one of the oldest bars in the country, having been in nearly continuous operation since 1829 (except during Prohibition), under various names such as Blue Pump Room, Old Abbey, Neir’s Social Hall, and Union Course Tavern. The bar was founded near the Union Course racetrack (extant 1821–1888) and hosted many track patrons during the track’s existence. The establishment was owned by the Neir family from 1898 to 1967, after which it went into decline and closed in 2009.
New owners bought the bar and a major refurbishment followed, including restoration of the 150-year-old mahogany bar and the installation of a kitchen serving a small selection of dinner entrees as well as pub fare, and the establishment re-opened in 2010.
Scenes from the film Goodfellas were shot in the bar, as were scenes from Tower Heist. According to some sources, Mae West made her first professional appearances here, although other sources dispute this as unconfirmed legend Neir’s Tavern itself avers the Mae West connection and offers a hamburger dish called “Mae West”.